No matter if you’re studying for ministry prep, for teaching or for religious writing, your studies as a theology student can benefit from technology. The following list of 25 incredible iPad apps that you might use include readers that you can use to enjoy any type of document or book, research materials and tools that can help you detail and share your research and writing in an organized manner. From Christianity to Muslim theology to Jewish philosophy and beyond, your studies can become richer with an iPad and the following tools.
- Bible Reader for iPad: Mobilize your Bible study with this app, which features over 700 resources, verse chooser, advance search, versified commentaries, favorites list, hyperlinked notes and personal notes.
- GoodReader for iPad: GoodReader is the super-robust PDF reader for iPad, considered the #1 selling non-Apple app for iPad in USA in 2010. With GoodReader on your iPad, you can read virtually anything, anywhere: books, movies, maps, pictures.
- Kindle: shop for 950,000 books in the Kindle Store by visiting Amazon.com/kindlestore in Safari or any web browser. Share quotes and passages with your friends and followers on Facebook and Twitter while reading. Instant word lookup on included dictionary with 250,000 entries and definitions.
- NetNewsWire: This top-notch reader synchronizes all of your feeds, read statuses, and flagged items. It is an especially useful way to monitor Table of Contents from journals that are of interest to you.
- NOOK for iPad: Most books that are available on Kindle should be available on this app as well. This app, however, has the added plus of using the same pagination as hard copy editions.
- 50 Key Concepts in Theology by Hugh Rayment-Pickard: Theology, like any other discipline, has its own jargon and insider knowledge. The author thought there was a place for a book that provided some digestible answers to questions about these issues. Contains comment and opinion as well as description.
- Development of Muslim Theology, Jurisprudence and Constitutional Theory: Duncan B. MacDonald provides a survey of the history of Islamic thought by a sympathetic Western scholar.
- ESV Study Bible +: Carry your ESV Study Bible with you wherever, whenever, and share with whomever you want! Crossway is excited to provide 20,000 notes-focused on especially understanding the Bible as well as two million words of Bible text and insightful teaching.
- Jewish Theology: This Smart Pocket app contains a detailed description of Jewish philosophy, and includes all philosophical activity carried out by Jews, or, in relation to the religion of Judaism. Jewish philosophy, until modern Enlightenment and Emancipation.
- Logos for iPad: A free download from the App store, Logos Bible Software lets you read, search, cross reference, compare versions, and even set up daily reading plans to keep your daily Bible reading on schedule.
- Summary New Testament Apocrypha Books: The stories are outlined along with internal and external conflicts identified. The summaries consume 70 pages, plus notes embedded within the translated texts for a total of 417 pages.
- Summary Old Testament Apocrypha (Part 1): Part one of the Old Testament Apocrypha Books series contains First and Second Esdras. The stories are outlined along with internal and external conflicts identified. The summaries consume 35 pages, plus notes embedded within the Esdras text for a total of 303 pages.
- The Bible Scholar: This premier-value rich Bible iPhone Application contains over 20 hand-picked volumes filled with Bible study tools that answer all the questions you’ve ever had about the Holy Scriptures.
- The Book of Revelation: The graphic eBook that details a documentary includes over 600 original illustrations. This is a “digital first” presentation using modern technology to bring this ancient text/sacred Scripture to the ever growing numbers of mobile device users and providing multiple ways to view the story.
- Theology: Learn all about The Theology Program. The program consists of 60 hours of theological training, more than 1,800 slides and more than 1,200 workbook pages.
- Theology Study Guide: This app stores all relevant pages about Theology from Wikipedia on your device so you can view them whenever you like with no need for Internet access. There’s even a bookmark feature so you can save specific articles for later review.
- Corkulous: Corkulous idea board for the iPad gives you an incredible new way to collect, organize, and share your ideas. Use it as a vision board, a mind map or a shared message center.
- Cram – Flashcards and multiple choice study tool: Cram goes beyond the typical flash card app and helps you study for tests, quizzes, and class assignments by turning your study material into multiple-choice practice tests and digital flash cards.
- Docs to Go: Documents To Go is an all-in-one application with support for Microsoft Word, Excel & PowerPoint, PDF, Apple iWork and other files and attachments. It includes a desktop application (Win and Mac) to provide 2-way file synchronization and a version with support for Google Docs, Box.net, Dropbox, iDisk and SugarSync is also available.
- Dropbox for iPad: Keep your files close to you with this free app, and share them with peers and professors. You also can add files to your Favorites for fast, offline viewing.
- Evernote: Evernote for iPad lets you make new text and audio notes, as well as view your existing Evernote content all with a swipe or tap of your finger. This is a free app.
- iAnnotate: iAnnotate turns your iPad into a world-class productivity tool for reading, annotating, organizing, and sending PDF files. Join the 100,000s of users who turn to iAnnotate for their PDF annotating needs.
- Outliner for iPad: Share your outlines, edit them online, and collaborate with other Outliner users. Create outlines for structured notes, lists, tasks, tasks with subtasks, projects and search through all your outlines, or find text in the current outline.
- Penultimate: Write, sketch, imagine and remember. Your touch creates stunning ink. Organize your ideas in beautiful notebooks, then share and collaborate with your coworkers, classmates, and friends.
- Todo 4 for iPad: The powerful set of tools packed into Todo make task management simple and fun. Use Todo on your iPad, keep your tasks synchronized using Todo Online, a new cloud sync service for tasks, and even access your tasks on your desktop in iCal or Outlook.